It’s important at any age to have the right hormonal balance in your body. If not, this can cause complications far down the line. If you have any of the following symptoms, male testosterone therapy might be useful in treating your condition.
- Reduced sex drive: Low libido is a common sign in men suffering from low testosterone. When you lose interest in sexual activity, this can mean something much more serious than simply not being in the mood.
- Sexual dysfunction: Inability to perform can be another sign of low testosterone. This may come in the form of erectile dysfunction and premature ejaculation. If this is a common occurrence, it is likely a sign of a hormonal imbalance in your body.
- Weight gain: Body fat increases are a common symptom associated with low testosterone. Studies have shown that men with low levels of testosterone have a higher percentage of body fat compared with men with normal levels. Obesity is linked with low testosterone levels. In addition, low testosterone levels often diminish the desire to do exercise, which in turn makes you less fit.
- Poor sleep habits: Researchers have found that low T levels can affect your sleep pattern by preventing you from enjoying ‘deep sleep’. You may also experience insomnia and lower quality sleep. Lower levels of testosterone also increases the level of the hormone cortisol, which is what keeps you awake. The reverse is also true: poor sleep habits can also lead to lower testosterone levels, which can begin a vicious cycle that can be difficult to break.
- Hair loss: While thinning hair is not uncommon in men as they age, low testosterone levels also contribute to hair loss. If the amount of hair lost is not consistent with your usual circumstances, or you are balding sooner than other men of your age, it may be the cause of low T.
These symptoms are by no means the complete list, but they are common and easy-to-spot enough that you will be able to have a good idea of what changes your body is going through. Contact Manhattan Integrative Medicine so we can help you decide which treatment option is best for you.